Established under section 15 of the Tobacco Control Act 1990 we held our first board meeting on 14 February 1991, and in 2021 we celebrated 30 years of Healthway.
Since that time, we have funded more than 5,600 organisations to the value of more than $455 million.
In 2016, following review of the Tobacco Act, Healthway’s own Act, the Western Australian Health Promotion Foundation Act 2016, was established.
In 2018, under the McGowan Government’s Machinery of Government changes, Healthway was brought together with Lotterywest. Whilst still operating as separate entities, opportunities to build on synergies between the organisations; and support great projects which help create a better and healthier Western Australia.
Some of our key achievements include:
- $455 million in grants funding to support community projects, research, and partnerships.
- Widespread education around healthy eating, being active, being smoke-free, reducing harm from alcohol and being mentally healthy.
- Widespread adoption of smoke-free areas across the WA community.
- Better access to healthy food choices in local schools, sporting clubs, and community venues.
- Better access to healthy environments that promote and support responsible service of alcohol.
- Widespread adoption of sun-safe practices across sport, arts, racing and community events and settings.
- Mentally healthy communities that are shaping good mental health and wellbeing.