- Incorporated organisations (including not-for-profit, companies and statutory bodies) are eligible for health promotion project grant funding.
All organisations applying for funding must:
- Be an incorporated association, company, statutory body or trust.
- Be ABN registered or provide an ATO ‘Statement By Supplier’ form.
- Fulfil all previous acquittal requirements for Healthway funded programs.
- Maintain a general public liability insurance policy of at least $10,000,000 for the period of the agreement.
- Have appropriate Health and Safety and Risk Management policies and practices in place to deliver the project(s)/event(s).
- Comply with all State and Commonwealth Laws which apply to the project.
- Not accept or have accepted any form of funding from tobacco companies or their related foundations, either directly or indirectly.
- Organisations may apply by downloading and completing the appropriate application form found on the Healthy Communities Program website.
All applications are reviewed by the Healthway team. During the review and assessment process, we will consider the following:
- If the project focuses on health promotion or the prevention of illness or injury using a population or community-based approach.
- The potential of the project to increase knowledge, change attitudes or behaviours to improve health.
- The ability of the project to address our strategic priorities or priority population groups
- The ability of the project or some of the activities to be ongoing after Healthway’s initial funding.
- If the project represents good value for money.
If the proposed project address a gap in current health promotion activity?
- Has the need for the proposed project been identified by the community and include partnerships with relevant community and health groups?
- As a general rule, we will not provide organisations with more than one Healthy Communities grant per year.
All applications are assessed by Healthway staff and recommendations are approved by the Board and Minister for Health.
- Application decisions can take around five months, though some decisions can take longer.
- Please allow sufficient time for planning and preparation of your project, as inadequate lead-time may reduce the chances of your application being successful.
Following the assessment and approval processes, we will notify you of the outcome of your application.
For grant funding up to $5,000: If successful, we will send you an Approval Letter to confirm the funded amount and the project details.
For grant funding over $5,000: If successful, we will send you an Approval Letter and Healthy Communities Grant Agreement (Agreement). Your organisation must be willing to execute an Agreement that formally describes the responsibilities of the recipient of any funding from Healthway. Please review the example Agreement on our website.
- All funding is paid through an electronic funds transfer to the bank account provided in your application. Please ensure that the account details are always kept up to date.
- Generally, for grant funding up to $5,000 the full amount will be paid once the grant is approved as long as there are no outstanding requirements.
- For grant funding over $5,000, the monies will be paid in accordance with a milestone payment schedule which is included in the Agreement. The first payment will be subject to any outstanding requirements. Further payments are then made on the satisfactory completion of stated milestones.
Applicants are encouraged to contact the Health Promotion team at Healthway to seek feedback on why the application was unsuccessful.
We will provide you with written advice about the funding decision, and you are encouraged to discuss any concerns with our team in the first instance.
Following this, if you remain dissatisfied with the decision you may request a review by writing to the CEO.
The letter is to be signed by the organisation’s Chairperson, CEO or authorised delegate and include the reason for the request as well as what resolution is sought. We will advise applicants of the outcome as soon as possible.
A request for a review will not impact on the consideration of any subsequent applications.
We approve projects on the basis of the information provided in the application. However, we are also aware that things don’t always go as planned. Should circumstances arise where it cannot proceed as proposed in the application, please call our to discuss further, including opportunities to revise your project in line with the original objectives.
- Your public acknowledgment of our funding helps spread the word about your initiative and our contribution to the community.
- Review our Sharing the news resource for more information.